Any and all content on zensylvania.com is provisional and is therefore subject to change based upon editorial needs, new information, further research, authorial whims and fiat or altered perspectives. Like life itself, it’s all a work in progress.
All writing and images on zensylvania.com is original except as may be attributed, cited or referenced in these notes. If you believe that a source may have been omitted in error, please let me know via the contact page.
The references below include recommended reading and are updated from time to time, regardless of whether the related essay cites the reference. The various links to other websites are intended only to support further investigation by those who may be curious and are not intended to imply endorsement of any material on those alternate sites. I have no relationship nor vested interests in sources that may be cited.
Footnotes to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (all essays)
- Pirsig, Robert. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values . 1971.
- Pirsig, Robert. Lila: An Inquiry into Morals. 1991.
- Beowulf. circa 975-1025 AD
- Chautauqua Institution. https://chq.org/.
- Coleridge, Samuel Taylor. Rime of the Ancient Mariner. 1834.
- Crawford, Matthew. Shop Class as Soul Craft. 2009.
- DiSanto, Robert & Robert J. Steele. Guidebook to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. 1990.
- James, Aaron. Surfing with Sartre: An Aquatic Inquiry into the Meaning of Life. 2017.
- Kaag, John. Hiking with Nietzche: On Becoming Who You Are. 2018.
- Kerouac, Jack. On the Road. 1957.
- Langlands, Alexander. Craeft: On How Traditional Craefts Are About More Than Just Making. 2017.
- McWatt, Anthony. Pirsig’s Journey (website). http://www.pirsigsjourney.com.
- Northrop, FSC. The Meeting of East and West: An Inquiry Regarding World Understanding. 1960.
- Robert Pirsig’s Metaphysics of Quality (website).
- Philp, Bruce. This Motorcycle Life (podcast).
- Plato. Phaedrus. circa 400 BCE
- Plato. Republic. circa 400 BCE
- Plato. Phaedrus. circa 400 BCE
- Richardson, Mark. Zen and Now: On the Trail of Robert Pirsig and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. 2008.
- Sennet, Richard. The Craftsman. 2008.
- Shelley, Mary. Frankenstein: Or the Modern Prometheus. 1818.
- Suzuki, Shunryu. Zen Mind Beginners Mind. 1970.
- Whitehead, Alfred North. Process and Reality. 1928.
- Yamada, Fumio. Master Ma’s Ordinary Mind: The Sayings of Zen Master Mazu Daoyi. 2017.
Footnotes to An Archetype: An Inquiry into “Leviathan”
- Job 41:1 Rendering Courtesy of: https://www.christianity.com/bible/bible.php?ver=niv&q=job+41
- Image of a naturalistic depiction of the biblical Leviathan https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/423619908672037529/
- Image of a watery Dragon and Beowulf artist cited as Karl Kopinski: https://www.pinterest.ca/Ginwarrior/the-story-of-beowulf/
- Chickering Jr., Howell D. Jr. Beowulf: A Dual-Language Edition. Anchor Books. 1977, 1989, 2006.
Footnotes to Niksen and Hygge: An Inquiry into Comfort and Contentment
- Czikmentmihalyi, Mihalyi.
- James, Aaron. Surfing with Sartre.
- Mecking, Olga. Niksen: The Dutch Art of Doing Nothing. 2021.
- Northrop. F.S.C. The Meeting of East and West.
- Sawaki, Kodo. The Zen Teachings of Homeless Kodo.
- United Nations. 2021 World Happiness Report.
- Wiking, Meik. The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well. 2016.
Footnotes to Buddhism’s Four Seals
- Hesse, Herman. Siddhartha.1922.
- Hesse, Herman. Der Steppenwolfe. 1927.
- Hesse, Herman. Magister Ludi: The Glass Bead Game. 1943.
- Kyentse, Dzongsar Jamyant. What Makes You Not a Buddhist. 2006.
- Whitehead, A.N. Process and Reality. 1928.
- Wittgenstein, Ludwig. Tractatus Philosophicus. 1921.
Footnotes to Being Water: An Inquiry into The Lee Family Philosophy
- Lee, Shannon. Be Water My Friend: The Teachings of Bruce Lee.
- Pirsig, Robert. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
- Whitehead, Alfred North. Process and Reality.
- Czikmentmihalyi, Mihalyi.
- Evans, Jules. Philosophy for Life and Other Dangerous
Footnotes to a Process: An Inquiry Into Meditation
- Wright, Robert. Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment. 2017.
- Zen Mountain Monastery. How to Meditate.
Tai Chi: Movement as Metaphor
- Source List to be developed
Tai Chi in the Morning
- Photo Credit: Tai Chi Vectors by Vecteezy
- Lovett, Lyle. Step Inside This House.
- Pirsig, Robert. Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
- Van Zandt, Townes. Highway Kind from Sunshine Boy: The Unheard Studio Sessions and Demos 1971-1972. Omnivore Recordings.
- Photo Credit: https://www.twincities.com/2017/04/24/robert-m-pirsig-million-selling-zen-author-dead-at-88/
(Learning) Tai Chi After 50
(Learning) Tai Chi After 50 was originally published as a blog-post as “Tai Chi After 50” on November 21, 2020. Due to the idiosyncratic elocution needs of automated text to voice software used for the podcast version of Zensylvania, an updated version of the essay was re-loaded to the the website as “Learning” on August 5, 2021.
- Black and white photo of a person sitting casually on a Honda CB750 courtesy of: https://negativespace.co/black-white-honda-motorbike/
- The grey-on-grey graphic contained in this article was developed from an image found on: Tai Chi Vectors by Vecteezy
- Definition of “footnotes”: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/footnote
- Uchiyama, Kosho and Okumura, Shohaku. The Zen Teachings of Homeless Kodo. Edited by Whitehead, Jokei Molly Delight. 1981 and 2014. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 13: 9781614290483
- Whitehead, Alfred North. Process and Reality. Gifford Lectures Delivered in the University of Edinburgh During the Session 1927-28. Original Publication in book form 1929. Simon and Schuster. ISBN-13: 978-0029345702
- Whitehead, Alfred North and Russell, Bertrand. Principia Mathematica. Cambridge at the University Press.1910. ISBN-13 978-1603864374. Open Library Edition.
Leviathan: The Biographia Isocratica of Adrian Kun
- Adriaans, Eric. Leviathan: The Biographia Isocratica of Adrian Kun. The Druthers Press. 2017. ISBN 978-0-9950966-0-8.